Aug. 6, 1828
Andrew Taylor Still, DO, is born in Lee County, Virginia.
The Still family cabin sits in its original location in Virginia.
The Still family moves to Missouri.
At age 10, Dr. Still uses a rope sling to alleviate a headache, which is the first time he uses an osteopathic method.
In his autobiography, Dr. Still noted the first time he used an osteopathic method.
Dr. Still marries Mary Margaret Vaughn.
Dr. Still moves to Kansas to help his father provide care for Native Americans.
Dr. Still is elected to Kansas State Legislature.
Mary Margaret dies, leaving Dr. Still with three young children.
Dr. Still marries Mary Elvira Turner.
Mary Elvira Turner became known as the mother of osteopathic medicine.
Dr. Still enlists in the Union Army in the Civil War and is distraught by the medical care and effects of opium.
Dr. Stillâs enlistment record shows he served in the Union Army. He was as a hospital steward in the 9th Kansas Cavalry, a captain in the 18th Kansas Militia, and a major in the 21st Kansas Militia.
Dr. Still had already lost his first wife and three young children. Illness hits his family, and four children die within four weeks. His frustration increases with the current state of medicine. Even as a physician, he felt helpless in trying to save those closest to him.
June 22, 1874
After years of study and research, Dr. Still begins to practice what would become osteopathic medicine. He announces his new theory by saying, âI flung to the breeze the banner of Osteopathy.â
Dr. Still moves to Kirksville, Missouri (population 1,800). He works as a traveling physician in rural northern Missouri.
Dr. Stillâs fame grows, and he coins the term âosteopathy.â
Dr. Still is shown holding a femur and pelvis.
ATSU opens as the American School of Osteopathy (ASO) in Kirksville. Osteopathic medical education is born.
ASOâs first class included three of Dr. Stillâs children and one nephew.
A.T. Still, DO becomes the first president of the American School of Osteopathy
The Journal of Osteopathy is launched in Kirksville.
The Journal of Osteopathy featured Dr. Still on the cover of the first issue. The journal was printed from 1894-1964. To view the early issues online, visitÂ atsu.edu/museum/subscription.
Missouri legalizes osteopathic medicine as a profession.
Dr. Still publishes his autobiography.
June 22, 1897
Dr. Still receives his diploma from ASO, officially earning his DO degree.
ASO establishes a nursing program.
Dr. Still demonstrates osteopathic manipulation on Augusta Teuckes, an ASO student nurse.
The first statue of Dr. Still is unveiled on campus. Today, this statue is located on the Adair County Courthouse grounds.
Dr. Stillâs statue stands in its original location in front of the ASO hospital.
Dec. 12, 1917
Dr. Still dies at age 89 in Kirksville.
George Still, MD, DO becomes the president of the American School of Osteopathy
A second osteopathic school, the Andrew Taylor Still College of Osteopathy and Surgery (ATSCOS), is founded by George M. Laughlin, DO, 1900, Dr. Stillâs son-in-law. ASO continues under the administration of S.S. Still, DO, Dr. Stillâs nephew.
Summerfield S. Still, LLM, DO becomes the university president of the American School of Osteopathy
George M. Laughlin, DO becomes the president of the A.T. Still College of Osteopathy and Surgery
ASO and ATSCOS merge to become the Kirksville Osteopathic College.
Kirksville Osteopathic College becomes a nonprofit educational institution.
The School is renamed the Kirksville College of Osteopathy and Surgery (KCOS).
The American Osteopathic Association is held in Kirksville for the last time.
During the 1928 AOA parade, men dressed up as Abraham Lincoln, Dr. Still, and George Washington on a float.
President George M. Laughlin, DO, 1900, earmarks $5,000 from the Collegeâs general fund for research.
President Laughlin and Dr. Denslow examine medical instruments.
Morris R Thompson, DSc (Hon.) becomes the president of the A.T. Still College of Osteopathy and Surgery
KCOS Rural Clinics program is established.
U.S. Congress amended the Social Security Act so the term âphysicianâ includes osteopathic physician.
The tenets of osteopathic medicine are published.
The Rockefellers donate $1 million to construct the Timken-Burnett Research Building.
The Timken-Burnett Research Building was completed in 1963.
DO graduates were allowed to participate in the military residency match for the first time in 1967, which allowedÂ DOsÂ to participate side-by-side withÂ MDsÂ in graduate training and for DOs to be drafted.
The School is renamed the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCOM).
H. Charles Moore, PhD becomes the president of the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
The doctor of osteopathy (DO) degree is officially licensed in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
The first Osteopathic Week is celebrated statewide in Missouri.
The Thompson Campus Center is dedicated.
The TCC holds an outdoor event in 1987.
Max T. Gutensohn, DO becomes the interim president of the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
Fred C. Tinning, PhD becomes the president of the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
Primary Care Clinic is renamed the Gutensohn Osteopathic Health and Wellness Clinic.
KCOM celebrates its centennial anniversary.
KCOM opens the Arizona School of Health Sciences in Mesa, Arizona.
Phyllis J. Blondefield, PhD becomes the interim president of the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
James J. McGovern, PhD becomes the president of A.T. Still University
The College of Graduate Health Studies is added in Kirksville, initially named School of Health Management.
The name A.T. Still University (ATSU) is adopted as the umbrella for all schools.
ATSU-ASHS moves to its current campus in Mesa, Arizona. image: Arizona campus
ATSUâs Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health opens in Mesa.
ATSU-ASDOH became the first dental school in the state of Arizona.
ATSUâs School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona opens in Mesa.
ATSU-SOMAâs unique model focuses on partnerships with community health centers and placing students in clinical settings in their second year of study.
W. Jack Magruder, EdD becomes the president of A.T. Still University
The Atlas Fraternity House is lost to fire. Built in 1912, this was originally the home of Dr. Stillâs son, Charles E. Still, DO, 1894.
Jack Magruder, EdD, retired as president of ATSU on June 30, and Craig M. Phelps, DO, â84, became ATSU president, effective July 1.
Dr. Still is inducted into the Hall of Famous Missourians.
A bronze bust of Dr. Still was unveiled and placed on the third floor rotunda of the Missouri Capitol.
ATSUâs Missouri School of Dentistry & Oral Health opens in Kirksville.
The Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, American Osteopathic Association, and American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine announced a single graduate medical education accreditation system.
ATSU celebrates its 125th anniversary!